Test the BOND model
in a lab experiment in Moldova
The BOND model, defined through the application of the findings and tools developed in the previous activities, will be tested in Moldova, as a “lab” for testing and fine tuning the approaches to foster social capital in the bonding, bridging and linking sectors, in one particular country.
The lab experiment in Moldova will allow to test in one country, in a real-life environment, with the main national policy-making agency in the farming sector: The Ministry of Agriculture and Food Industry of the Republic of Moldova, the implementation of project activities. This exercise will foster the development of social capital in Moldova, contributing to strengthen farmers‟ groups, and will also be a demonstration field for other countries in Europe where the level of organization is low, as a documented example that will showcase what can be achieved when providing an enabling environment, and using the methods and tools developed throughout the BOND project..
A participatory analysis and a review of the regulatory environments provide a range of examples, and good practice in Europe that can facilitate a more enabling environment for farmers and provide solutions to overcome legal constraints which often represent a main impediment for collective action.
Concept of Lab experiment in Moldova
Training on Farmer organization empowerment through bonding capital
Chisinau, January - April 2020
In this last year of the BOND project (2019 -2020), a key task is related to the implementation of task 3.4 about “undertaking a lab experiment in Moldova”. The lab experiment is a learning process involving farmers and land manager groups who will participate in capacity building activities and in the design of Action Plans that may lead to the signature of a number of Memorandum of Understanding in different sectors.
The learning process will be structured around three key events covering the period February to April 2020 where representatives from 10 farmer groups will be participating to learn new skills, apply them in their group and report back to the following event. Therefore, the selected representatives have the important task to stay engaged over the period of the lab experiment and after, attend all three events, disseminate the information in the group where they belong to and start a strategic planning process for their group for a future change.
Target audience: 10 national farmers groups representing different sectors. Two representatives per group will be selected to attend the three events.
All three events will be in English with translation into Romanian language.
Event #1: Understanding group performance and developing an Action Plan
Chisinau, February 25, 2020
Objectives of the event #1
Engage with values and principles of our organizations
– Debate on the importance of building a shared vision
– Analyse organizational performance, identifying its strengths and weaknesses in relation to its mission
– Formulate strategies to strengthen performance, equity and governance
– Establish a plan of action for the next 12 months
– Introduce the Memorandum of Understanding as a tool to foster collaboration and share some examples
After the event #1, participants will have to engage their group in the following:
– revise or formulate a common vision for their group
– engage in the analysis of the performance of their group
– start drafting an Action Plan.
The participants will report back on such activities during the second event planned for
March 19, 2020.
Event #2: Emotional and bridging skills
Chisinau, March 19, 2020
Objectives of the event #2
– Reflect on the group as a complex system and group dynamics
– Reflect on the emotional dimension of groups and its importance. Emotional intelligence as a key tool for groups.
– Apply emotional management tools
– Use tools for conflict management.
– Analyse the social arena beyond our groups. Familiarize with strategies and tools to build social networks.
– Advance in the definition of potential MoU to be signed.
After the event #2, participants will have to engage their group in the following:
– Reflect and build collectively a strategy to foster networking actions with other groups and entities in Moldova.
The participants will report on such activity during the third event planned for April 9 th and 10th, 2020.
Event #3: Collective Action, Cooperative development, dialogue, Lego serious play and game changers
Chisinau, April 9-10, 2020
Objectives of the event #3
– Increase understanding about legal and fiscal aspects of cooperatives and other forms of
associative agricultural producers.
– Familiarize with cooperatives experiences from different countries.
– Understand opportunity for investments from national and international development partners.
– Reflect on the nature and elements of constructive dialogue with government counterparts and among farmer organizations.
– Familiarize with concept of traditional seeds distribution program.
– Familiarize with social capital in farming and bonding in the development policy proposals.
– Improve creative thinking and sharing based on Lego serious play methodology.
After the event #3, participants will have to engage their group in the following:
– Validate the recommendations coming out from the national workshop held in Moldova and eventually expand them.
– Report on progress of the activities undertaken during and after event 1 and 2
– Discuss & sign eventually MoUs.
The participants will report on the activities carried out after the first two events and report on progress.